5 Tips for Hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney in Des Moines
If you find yourself needing a criminal defense attorney in Des Moines or the surrounding area, the search may seem overwhelming. When the stakes are this high, blindly picking an option could prove to be detrimental to your bank account and/or freedom. Not all lawyers are equally qualified to handle your unique case, and hiring the right attorney can often make all the difference when it comes to putting up the best defense.
When dealing with a criminal charge in Iowa, finding the right lawyer should be your first step. Here are some tips for finding the best Des Moines criminal defense lawyer.
Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Iowa
- Responsiveness. When facing a criminal charge, time is of the essence. Look for an attorney who quickly responds to your inquiry to set up a prompt consultation. During this initial meeting, make sure they have the time necessary to spend on your case.
- Experience in Your Type of Case. Not all criminal defense attorneys specialize in the same areas. If you are facing a class B or C felony, for example, you probably don’t want to hire an attorney who mostly deals with more minor misdemeanors.
- Experience in the Local Courts. Look for a criminal defense lawyer who has ample experience dealing with the local courts. This is often overlooked, but it can make a big difference.
- Knowledgeable. A good Des Moines criminal defense lawyer should know the answers to your basic questions, without having to look things up. They should be able to describe the possible penalties that come with your crime. Plus, make sure you both agree on the best possible outcome of your case.
- Clear Fee Schedule. Finally, make sure you are both on the same page when it comes to fees and billing. A good attorney should be able to explain what to expect when it comes to the total cost of your defense.
Finally, trust your instincts. If it doesn’t feel like a good match, it probably isn’t a good match. Gauge their enthusiasm on potentially working on your case, and make sure they take time to listen to what you want.
If you are currently facing criminal charges in Des Moines, call James Nelsen today for knowledgeable, straightforward and aggressive advice and counsel.